June 12, 2021

PR Headline News

Top Stories Without The Fluff

Criminal case opened in the United States for the death of a policeman in the assault on Congress

Photos: EFE / EPA / FBI

WASHINGTON – The United States Attorney General’s Office is going to open a federal criminal case for the death of a police officer in the assault on Congress perpetrated by radical supporters of President Donald Trump on Wednesday, local media reported on Friday.

Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick was one of the five fatalities in the assault carried out by Trump supporters to interrupt a session in which the electoral victory of Democrat Joe Biden was certified.

The agent died this Thursday “due to injuries he suffered while working” in the assault on Congress by Trump supporters, as confirmed by the police in a statement.

The official version indicates that Sicknick was injured “while physically confronting the protesters”, but some media have indicated that he was hit on the head with a fire extinguisher by one of the assailants.

The agent suffered a “collapse” when he returned to his office, for which he was transferred to the hospital, where he died 24 hours later.

The death is being investigated by the federal police (FBI), by the homicide section of the Metropolitan Police Department of the capital and by the Capitol Police.

Congressmen Democrats and some Republicans have held Trump responsible for the incidents, urging protesters to go to Congress in a speech to the White House in which he reiterated his unsubstantiated allegations of electoral fraud.

In addition to Sicknick, four protesters identified by authorities as Ashli ​​Babbitt, a 35-year-old woman living in San Diego, California, lost their lives in the incidents; Benjamin Phillips, 50, from Ri (Pennsylvania); Kevin Greeson, 55, of Athens, Alabama, and Rosanne Boyland, 34, of Kennesaw, Georgia.

According to the police, in the assault, in which shootings took place, the officers were “actively attacked” with metal pipes and other weapons.

Due to the criticism received by the poor security system established around the legislative headquarters in the face of a protest called days ago, the Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund announced his resignation on Thursday.

The deceased officer had been working for the Capitol Police since 2008 and most recently served in the First Aid Unit.

Source link