STRENGTH – The permanent coordinator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), José Baquero, reported on Tuesday that all funds allocated by Hurricane María will be disbursed for next year.
“It has moved by leaps and bounds in the last year. I don’t know if you are aware of the large amount of money that was allocated to Puerto Rico, it is more than what was allocated to Louisiana after Katrina and New York after Sandy combined. When you compare the work train of those responses in Puerto Rico, well, more progress has been made in Puerto Rico, ”Baquero said to questions from the press.
“It is not to sit down and be fanatical about that, it is to improve, keep pushing and looking for a way to be efficient,” he added, assuring that the key is communication between the executive, the municipalities, COR3 and FEMA.
Baquero said that all the funds assigned to the Island are around 48 billion dollars, of which 17 billion dollars have been disbursed.
“They are already obliged to specific projects and that is a great advance, over three thousand or so projects in the municipalities. The goal is that 70 percent will be required by December and 100 percent will be required by next year, ”said the permanent coordinator of FEMA.
Baquero’s expressions came after a meeting with Governor Wanda Vázquez Garced on monitoring the projects to be carried out due to the passage of hurricanes Irma and María in September 2017.
“This coming weekend is Maria’s third anniversary. Basically it is to give you an update on where we are, what is being done, what is being worked on and what are the work plans we have for the next six months ”, explained Baquero.