By Francisco Rodriguez-Castro on October 22, 2020
SAN JUAN – The US stock markets closed with gains Thursday. One of the items of interest to investors is that the Birling Capital US Bank Index increased significantly.
We note the following results:
- Bank of America Corp. (BAC) closed at $ 24.90, a rise of $ 0.85, or 3.53%.
- Citigroup Inc (C) closed at $ 43.96, an increase of $ 0.95, or 2.21%.
- Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (GS) closed at $ 205.65, an increase of $ 2.74, or 1.35%.
- JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) closed at $ 102.95, an increase of $ 3.58, or 3.6%.
- Morgan Stanley (MS) closed at $ 51.72, an increase of $ 1.34, or 2.66%.
- Truist Financial Corp. (TFC) closed at $ 43.46, an increase of $ 1.56, or 3.72%.
- US Bancorp. (USB) closed at $ 40.47, an increase of $ 1.65, or 4.25%.
- Wells Fargo & Co. closed at $ 23.29, an increase of $ 0.59, or 2.6%.
Also driving the market was news that the US Department of Labor reported a decline in new unemployment claims: 787,000, or 6.53% fewer than the 842,000 last week.
The final rebound came after Nancy Pelosi, speaker of the House of Representatives, provided a positive outlook on discussions over a US stimulus bill agreement between Democrats and Republicans.
On to markets,
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 28,363.66, up 152.84 points, or 0.54%.
- The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index closed at 3,453.49, up 17.93 points, or 0.52%.
- The NASDAQ Composite closed at 11,506.01, up 21.31 points or 0.19%.
- The Birling Capital Puerto Rico Stock Index closed up at 1,649.14, 1.87 points or 0.11% more
- The 10-year note of the United States Treasury closed with a rise of 0.87%.
- The 2-year note from the United States Treasury closed up at 0.16%.