San Juan – The Resident Commissioner, Jenniffer González Colón, announced on Wednesday, the allocation of $ 19,138,138 for ten airports on the Island that come from the federal Department of Transportation (DOT) and include items to help cover operational expenses and reinforce the security protocols in place. in force to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus.
The allocation comes from funds allocated under the Coronavirus Relief and Response Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act of 2020, which became Public Law 116-123 on March 6, 2020.
“It is vital that our airports receive these financial aid that we have ensured since the beginning of the pandemic in order to cover the additional expenses they have had to make to implement the health protocols for COVID and that they can continue to operate. Especially now that the Island continues to open its doors to international tourism, we must ensure that our airports are in optimal conditions and have the resources to operate safely for passengers, employees, and those who live on the Island, “said the commissioner in written communication.
The Ports Authority will receive the allocations from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) of the nine regional airports, while Aerostar Airport Holdings will receive the allocation for the Luis Muñoz Marín de Carolina International Airport.
These funds are used to help with costs related to operations, personnel, cleaning, disinfection, general cleaning services, for efforts against the spread of COVID at the airport.
In addition, major airports will receive a grant that will provide financial relief from rent and minimum annual guarantees for airport car rentals, airport parking and terminal concessions.
The funds are distributed as follows:
- $ 10,577,768 for the Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport in San Juan
- $ 3,088,133 for Rafael Hernández in Aguadilla
- $ 1,372,150 for the Mercedita in Ponce
- $ 1,020,497 for the Antonio Rivera Rodríguez in Vieques
- $ 1,012,192 for the Benjamin Rivera Noriega airport in Culebra
- $ 1,013,380 for the José Aponte de La Torre in Ceiba
- $ 1,009,018 for Fernando Luis Ribas Dominicci in San Juan
- $ 23,000 for Eugenio Maria De Hostos in Mayagüez
- $ 13,000 for the Antonio Nery Juarbe Pol in Arecibo
- $ 9,000 for the Dr. Hermenegildo Ortiz Quiñones airport in Humacao.