The Census Bureau published the most recent data from the Annual Population Estimates by Age and sex characteristics for municipalities, Puerto Rico as well as for counties in the United States. These statistics refer to July 1, 2019, and include population estimates by age group for each municipality.
Representing the U.S. State Data Center Network. Census Bureau in Puerto Rico, the Institute of Statistics of Puerto Rico (Institute) reported various findings from the new publication of the population estimates for the year 2019 compared to those of July 1, 2010:
- From 2010 to 2019 the population under 18 years of age in Puerto Rico reflected a reduction of 324,293 residents, representing a percentage change of -36%. As of July 1, 2010, this population was 897,024, nine years later in 2019, it is estimated at 572,731.
- In terms of the proportion of the large age groups in the population, children under 18 years of age used to represent 24% (2010) in Puerto Rico, now comprise 18% (2019).
- The age and sex structure (population pyramid) of 2010 compared to that of 2019 shows how the composition has changed rapidly in Puerto Rico. Its base is much narrower, indicating the decrease in infants, children, and adolescents.
- On the other hand, the upper part of the pyramid reflects a considerable increase in the age groups of 65 years or more, which translates into an Older population.
- The median age of Puerto Rico is estimated to have increased about six years during the decade, from 37.0 years in 2010 to 43.2 years in 2019.
“Estimates by demographic characteristics of age and sex allow to detail within the population trend in Puerto Rico. For example, the drastic decrease in births directly influences and is reflected at the base of the population pyramid. As of 2010, the population in age groups between 0-4 and 5-9 years comprised around 3% in women and men, respectively. In 2019 the base shrinks with percentages close to or below 2%, “said Alberto L. Velázquez-Estrada, manager of Statistical Projects of the Institute.
The annual estimates of the population for the year 2019 for Puerto Rico and its municipalities, can be accessed on the data and census information page on Puerto Rico of the SDC-PR network at https://censo.estadisticas.pr/EstimadosPoblacionales and more details on the annual estimates at census.gov/programs-surveys/popest.html .