SAN JUAN – The Health Department reported nine deaths from COVID-19 and registered an additional 276 confirmed and 94 probable cases of the disease.
Of the reported deaths, six were confirmed as due to infection with the novel coronavirus and were registered as follows:
- 88-year-old woman from the Bayamón region
- 66-year-old woman from the Metro region
- 80-year-old man from the Fajardo region
- 56-year-old man from the Fajardo region
- 71 year old man from the Fajardo region
- 70-year-old man from the Mayagüez region
The three deaths reported as probably due to the virus “correspond to three men, 93, 72 and 87 years old, from the Metro, Bayamón and Arecibo regions, respectively,” reads the Health Department's press release.
“With these reported fatalities, the confirmed deaths add up to 133 and the probable ones are 113, so the total number of deaths is 246, ”the department said, adding that the“ change in the number of deaths should not be interpreted as having occurred in the last 24 hours. Similarly, it is important to note that the reporting of deaths can vary, to the extent that the processes of registration and codification of the causes of death are carried out, which could take several days. ”
To date, the number of COVID-19 cases on the island confirmed by diagnostic testing is 7,684.
“The total was adjusted after subtracting five duplicate cases with sampling dates of May 6 and July 13, 14, 20 and 21. Of that total, 3,888 are women and 3,796 men. The reported cases are those that have a positive PCR test, with a sample collection date of July 21 to August 1.
“As part of the report, 94 additional probable cases were registered, with a sample collection date from July 28 to August 2. In this category, the total is 11,967, after being adjusted, by subtracting 37 cases that, subsequently, had a positive molecular test and were added to the cases registered as part of this report. Similarly, a duplicate case with a sample collection date of July 2 was subtracted. Probable cases are divided into 6,589 women and 5,378 men, ”the Department of Health said before providing the following summary of its report.
- Additional confirmed cases: 276
- Total confirmed cases: 7,684
- Additional probable cases: 94
- Total probable cases: 11,967
- Additional confirmed deaths: 6
- Total confirmed deaths: 133
- Additional probable deaths: 3
- Total Probable Deaths: 113
- Total deaths reported: 246  For more information, visit the Department of Health's website, at www.salud.gov.pr/coronavirus .