The Association of Puerto Rican Shopping Centers (ACCP) expressed today that it trusts that by July 1 the government will allow them to remove the limitation of people, as well as operate valet parking and play areas.
The entity stated that, if allowed, they will execute strict safety and hygiene protocols to avoid contagion of coronavirus.
The 46 shopping centers that the Association groups agreed that Father's Day sales exceeded their expectations.
"We saw a traffic that is gradually increasing, although it has not yet reached normal, all running in order and responsibly by the tenants and visitors" said the president of the ACCP and the Caparra Companies, Adolfo "Tito" González.
Most shopping centers reported traffic close to 60% of normal for this season, just three weeks after its reopening, after two and a half months closed.  "We hope that in the next Executive Order, the government will allow us to operate normally, as it has been shown that shopping centers are an essential component in the life of the Puerto Rican," added the parent company executive. of San Patricio Plaza.
For her part, the secretary of the Association and general manager of The Mall of San Juan, Marnie Marquina added: “We are seeing people return to make their purchases and see that they can do it with comfort and security. We continue with all our contagion prevention measures and we see everyone grateful and cooperating. ”
The shopping centers assured that they continue to execute their protocols and prevention measures proposed to the government for the reopening, such as mandatory use of masks , walking on the right side of the corridors, social distancing in common areas and food service, and use of hand sanitizer, among others.
So far, none have reported incidents with people who do not want to follow the protocol Nor has any shopping center been associated with any of the recent outbreaks of coronavirus in the country.
On the other hand, Francis Xavier González vice president of the ACCP and director of Site Centers, the management company of 11 shopping centers including Plaza Río Hondo and Plaza del Sol, expressed the urgency of allowing operation with normal capacity.
“Almost three months closed is a very hard blow for the family restaurant and retail segment. We need to produce, generate, we need to recover as soon as possible. We have lost Mother's Day, which is the second most important of the year in Puerto Rico and there are still 5 months left until Christmas sales. And the government also needs the collections and the jobs "he said.