The Ángel Ramos Foundation Science and Visitors Center of the Arecibo Observatory will resume public visits tomorrow, June 24, from 9:00 a.m. at 3:00 p.m., following the necessary sanitary measures to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
“It is the only center in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean focused on space, atmospheric and planetary sciences. Our mission is to educate on the sciences that are practiced at the observatory as we encourage the choice of these careers at the university level. The COVID-19 pandemic, far from discouraging us, inspired us to reinvent ourselves and continue with the effort to continue educating our island, ”said Abniel Machín, executive director of the Science and Visitors Center, through a press release. “With these measures in place and highly motivated to continue our mission, we are pleased to announce that we will finally be opening our doors to the public.”
To minimize exposure to the virus from visitors and employees, the center will take the following steps:
• Visits will be exclusively by reservation (For reservations you can visit the page http://www.naic.edu/ao/content/reservation-request-form )
• Any person from 5 years or more must bring and wear a mask at all times
• Person who does not have a mask, will not be able to enter
• The temperature of each person will be taken at the entrance and who has a temperature of 100.4 ° F (38 ° C) or more, neither that person nor the group with which they come may enter
• Use hand sanitizer
• Maintain physical distance
“The center was closed 91 days to guarantee the safety of our employees and visitors. The investigations and observations made by scientists using the radio telescope were not affected in their entirety during the temporary closure and were carried out as usual ”Machín reported about one of the main tourist attractions in Arecibo, which receives about 100,000 visitors a year.
The Arecibo Observatory is a National Science Foundation (NSF) facility operated by the University of Central Florida under a cooperative agreement with Ana G. Méndez University and Yang Enterprises , Inc.
For more information you can contact 787-878-2612, ext. 346 or 312 or access http://www.naic.edu/