December 1, 2020

PR Headline News

Top Stories Without The Fluff

The Seismic Network adjusts the magnitude of tremor to the southwest of Puerto Rico to 4.9




The Puerto Rico Seismic Network (RSPR) adjusted this morning to 4.9 the magnitude of the tremor that occurred at 9:54 am today, Friday, to the southwest and which was felt from various points around the island.

The earthquake did not generate any tsunami warning, warning or vigilance.

Earlier the United States Geological Survey (USGS) reported a preliminary magnitude of 5.1.

The epicenter of the earthquake was located in the La Parguera area, in Lajas, with a depth of 6 kilometers and 8.79 kilometers south-southeast of Lajas, where the intensity was V. [1 9659007] Users through the social networks of El Nuevo Día reported having felt the earthquake from towns such as Bayamón, Guaynabo, Aguada, Hatillo, Vega Baja, Arecibo, Cabo Rojo, Río Grande, Cataño, San Juan , Barranquitas, Carolina, among others.

Did you feel it? Let us know in the comment section at the end of this story.

In Lajas, a residence collapsed although the mayor Marcos "Turin" Irizarry indicated that it had already been evicted due to damage that presented by the constant earthquakes in the southwest area of ​​the island.

"The event was strong. At the moment, a house collapsed and had already been affected by other events. It is located in the Magüayo sector The house had already been evicted because it had been severely affected and, although it had resistance at that time, this time it collapsed, "said the mayor in a telephone interview.

After learning what happened, the governor Wanda Vázquez Garced made available to the municipalities the resources of the Bureau of Emergency Management and Disaster Administration (NMEAD).

"The important thing is that all response agencies, in this case the Bureau for Emergency Management and everything that has to do with the Department of Health and the rapid response are working in coordination, "he said.

For his part, the Guánica municipal executive, Santos Seda mentioned that the preliminary review of the Office of Emergency Management concluded that there was no structural damage as a result of the earthquake.

"Structurally we are in the same, there has been no change. Whenever something like 4.5 to 4 occurs, it revives the emotions of all of us, but we are fine, "he said in a telephone interview.

" Now we are verifying with the Emergency Management units that everyone is under control and that there is no No problem, "added the official.

Last Monday, Seda reported that the Mariano" Tito "Rodríguez Coliseum, the main municipal refuge building in Guánica, closed due to the damage it has suffered from the tremors.

Post that collapsed due to the tremor felt today, Friday, in Ponce.
(Supplied)

Meanwhile, the mayor of Ponce, María "Mayita" Meléndez urged citizens to remain calm.

"No damage was reported to our municipality, the corresponding inspection tasks are being carried out "reported in a publication on Facebook.

However, a citizen, who said that he was walking outside the Pontificia Universidad Católica, in Ponce, when the quake passed, he shared with El Nuevo Día a photo of a pole that broke near it during the earthquake.

Months of tremors

These tremors are the most recent in a series of telluric movements that started in December 2019 and that have mainly affected the municipalities of the south and southwest areas.

The sequence began on December 28, 2019 with an earthquake of magnitude 4.7 and another of magni Your 5.0 the next day.

Meanwhile, on January 6 there was a tremor of magnitude 5.8, followed by an earthquake of magnitude 6.4 on the morning of January 7.

The tremors have caused damage estimated at $ 8.3 billion, according to the first estimate submitted by Governor Wanda Vázquez Garced to the federal government.



Source link