The new entry requirements to Puerto Rico for visitors arriving by plane were favored by representatives of the hospitality sector to keep the coronavirus in control (Covid-19).
Governor Wanda's new executive order Vázquez requires molecular tests and screening at the entrance to the Island, and imposes quarantine periods of up to 14 days on those who have to be tested here or if they give a positive result to Covid-19, among other measures.  Jesús Ramos, president of the Association of Owners of Paradores, agreed with the responsibility of forcing guests to execute protocols to prevent the spread of the virus. So far there have been three outbreaks on the Island associated with visitors who came and interacted with locals.
“We are not against the responsibility of the paradores to enforce security measures, whatsoever. People who stay with us can feel safe. We endorse the use of masks 100%. The restrictions at the airport are fair and necessary. The great contagions are from people who have come from outside Puerto Rico, so it was necessary to look for prevention and control mechanisms, "Ramos reacted.
Carla Campos, executive director of the Tourism Company, highlighted the need for the new restrictions reported yesterday and expressed that "they are core measures that endorsed infectious diseases and epidemiologists to have a sustainable opening of the tourism sector and position ourselves as a safe destination" .
In the case of the Puerto Rico Hotel and Tourism Association (Prhta, for its acronym in English), endorsed the changes that will be effective from July 15 at the Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport.
“Bringing negative test certificates is the most reasonable thing and they are doing it in the Caribbean in the Bahamas and Aruba, in addition to Hawaii and Alaska. We do not believe that this will affect the arrival of tourists, because whoever has to travel will do it anyway. We knew that this decision was something that was being evaluated and we asked leisure visitors about this possibility and the response was very positive. They understand that these are actions to maintain security, "said Clarissa Jiménez, president of the Prhta.
On this subject, Discover Puerto Rico (DPR) confirmed that they are already prepared to announce the new protocols for visiting the Island.
“We are ready to deliver the message about health and safety measures to future tourists, travel advisers, meeting planners, and journalists. As the Destination Marketing Organization (DMO), we communicate the procedures to prepare travelers for the experience they will find when they arrive at the airport, "said Brad Dean, chief executive officer of DPR.
Meanwhile, Emilio Colón, member of the The economic 'task force' stated that "the decision to ask for proof (from visitors) is a step in the right decision so as not to lose the ground we have gained, because hospital capacity would not withstand an outbreak as in other countries."
However, he mentioned that the issue that concerns him is the control of the hotels. both by locals and visitors from abroad – the governor established that there will be penalties for owners whose clients do not agree to comply with security measures and the use of a mask. In the past few weeks, there has been an agglomeration of clients in establishments -mainly in beverages and in tourist areas- without always maintaining social distancing and the use of masks.
"The responsibility to comply with the mask belongs to the citizen and not from the merchant, who can warn the customer, but he is not a policeman to penalize the one who breaks the law. It is not fair that they fine merchants who can tell people to comply with the protocols, but they cannot start fighting with them, "Jorge Argüelles, president of the United Retail Center (CUD), reacted.
He said that the Merchants do have a responsibility to post signs and report protocols to consumers. But the other requirements that could lead to the imposition of fines or closure of establishments were not considered appropriate.