April 17, 2021

PR Headline News

Top Stories Without The Fluff

University students demand that Justice reveal the names of the "massive filing" under Wanda Vázquez


A group of university students demanded today that the Department of Justice deliver the lists that would contain the names of thousands of people whose personal accounts of Facebook were intervened during the strike of the University of Puerto Rico (UPR) in 2017, as part of the investigation against it.

At that time, the agency, which was under the leadership of the current governor Wanda Vázquez Garced asked the social network by means of a search and search warrant to give her the names of users, their identification number, photos, comments with the university news media UPR Dialogue, Student Pulse and the Center for Student Communication, among other things.

The complaint was made by the five young people who have been, since then, in a long judicial process after breaking into a meeting of the Governing Board of the UPR in search of stopping the increase in enrollment, privileging public services over debt payment, achieving a debt audit and avoiding massive budget cuts in the country's public university system.

The young people involved are: Verónica Figueroa Huertas, Thaliangelly Torres González, Francisco Santiago Cintrón, Randiel Negrón Torres and Gabriel Díaz Rivera.

In turn, they raised their voices in the way in which the Government “criminalizes” protests and disproportionately invests resources. For this, they exemplified their case versus other corruption scandals that have been investigated by federal agencies and not by the Department of Justice.

“Over the past three years, more than 50 citations and unnecessary exposure to the coronavirus , we denounce the double standard that exists in the justice of our country and the process run over not only against us but against thousands of people whose right to privacy was violated, "they said in a press release. [19659002] “While resources are invested against us, investigations of public officials who commit corruption and abuses of power are delayed. It seems incredible that the same Department of Justice that has insisted for three years on persecuting students for defending public institutions has fled its responsibility in prosecuting people who tried to defraud the country out of more than $ 40 million in tests for COVID-19. He has not lifted a finger to investigate the looting of public funds that were evidenced in the infamous chat of Ricardo Roselló and his Blue Pack. Two years after the hurricane, that same Department of Justice has not said a word about those responsible for supporting the supply cars of Hurricane Maria and this year's earthquakes. And as if that were not enough, it has not invested resources in investigating and taking action against María Milagros Charbonier and Nelson Del Valle, representatives accused of corruption and participating in the ghost employees scheme ”they listed.

Lists with the names of the people whose personal Facebook account was intervened at the request of the Department of Justice under Wanda Vázquez Garced

The students insist that only through the dismissal of the charges against them would justice be achieved. [19659002] "We have no doubt that behind this double bar and inconsistency lies the intention to criminalize those who fight for a better country and a selective attempt to accuse those who assume representation positions", adds the press release.

The trial against the university students resumes on August 31.



Source link